In the Design/Build contract relationship, both the design and construction phases are in the hands of a single entity, so there is just one point of responsibility for quality, cost, work flow and schedule adherence. Many of Benchmark’s clients find that this system is exactly what they want: an efficient, organized and cost-effective method for developing a project with a budget that is managed throughout the process. This means no unfortunate cost surprises once the design is complete. Furthermore, the owner’s time is not taken up coordinating the designer and the builder.
DESIGN/BUILD includes the following services:
- Securing subcontractors
- Constructability review
- Pre-construction services
Established in 1993, general contracting was the original foundation Benchmark was built on. We have become a leader in commercial construction and today still offer the project delivery method for those clients who prefer it.
As General Contractor of a project, we coordinate and supervise the project from early development to completion. We work with the owner, developer and design team to ensure 100% satisfaction with the end product.
We understand the importance of trust and open communication in the construction relationship. Our clients rely on our expertise and integrity to manage their projects on their behalf. Our clients value the relationship we build with them and recognize our commitment to quality, budget, and schedule.
As a General Contractor, we give the owners the same respect, consideration, and attention as if we were serving as Construction Managers of the project.
Our philosophy remains the same regardless of the capacity we serve- Deliver quality construction, on time, and within budget.
Throughout the design phase, Benchmark continually reviews budgets, schedules, design, material options, project feasibility and safety. Our professional team communicates frequently, so that all dimensions of the project flow seamlessly from one phase to the next.
CONSTRUCTION MANAGEMENT includes the following services:
- Provide cost and construction feasibility
- Define scope of work and prepare specifications for trade bid packages
- Prepare budget estimates and updates from progress drawings
- Generate master project schedule
- Pre-Construction Services [click here to description of Pre-Construction Services]
Bidding and Contract Award Phase
- Assist in securing all permits
- Generate subcontractor interest to ensure good bid response
- Consult with potential subcontractors during bid period
- Tally bid results and award subcontracts
- Finalize construction budget and schedule
- Prepare contracts and purchase orders
- Review subcontractor bonds and insurance for compliance with project specifications
- Schedule, coordinate and supervise onsite construction activities
- Maintain jobsite safety and OSHA compliance
- Review and document monthly requisitions
- Receive and track contractor lien waivers
- Track subcontractor retainage
- Manage and track change orders to the contract
- Provide progress updates for distribution
- Update schedule periodically
- Update cost to complete project periodically
- Coordinate inspection visits and obtain occupancy certificates as required
- Oversee project close-out: coordinate and supervise completion of punch lists, organize transfer of owners manuals
- Assist in startup of systems training
During this critical phase, clients get the benefit of the builder’s experience and viewpoint. At Benchmark, we believe that proactive management during this phase will assure that the design reflects the client’s program requirements, as well as budget, schedule, and quality parameters. Early on, clients understand what their budget will afford, they are able to obtain financing sooner, and the project takes less time to complete than the traditional system (design, bid and build contract format).
Pre-construction is when we begin implementing our communication and reporting systems. These systems identify potential misunderstandings and eliminate them before construction begins.
Also during Pre-Construction, clients have an opportunity to explore alternative systems, such as energy efficiency, lifecycle cost systems, sustainable technology, and environmentally sound construction techniques.
PRE-CONSTRUCTION includes the following services:
- Estimating (early knowledge of firm price)—From the beginning of the design process, Benchmark works closely with the client and designers to accurately conceptualize the completed project, while providing continuous and concurrent estimating. This results in accurate construction costs and schedules far sooner than is traditionally possible, thus allowing the establishment of project feasibility and securing of financing well in advance of construction.
- Project planning and scheduling—Develop a master schedule, identify milestones, consider specific site issues, develop final construction sequencing.
- Value engineering—Our design and construction personnel work collectively as a team. Through ongoing evaluation of systems, materials and methods, we assess operating expense against capital cost to optimize your project’s overall life cycle. This combination of resources results in maximum control and immediate response as your project evolves from a concept to a completed building.
- Budget management—From the beginning of the design process, Benchmark works closely with the client and designers to accurately conceptualize the completed project, while providing continuous and concurrent estimating. This results in accurate construction costs and schedules, far sooner than is traditionally possible, thus allowing the establishment of project feasibility and securing of financing well in advance of construction.
- Site design, evaluation and permitting-Our in-house civil engineering expertise provides the owner with the professional constructor’s perspective on all site issues. Cost alternatives are offered during the site design and permitting phase so that cost savings can be incorporated into the permitted documents. Permitting management by Benchmark ensures that the overall project timeline is met and that it dovetails with total project requirements.